Thursday, January 28, 2010

School Starts!

Obviously I was a bit nervous for my first day of school in a new country. But that reached whole new levels when I got my schedule the day before. I was placed into beginning Spanish but all of my classes were for people that were fluent! AGHH!! They told us to change our schedule we had to get the signatures of the teachers. The entire first day of classes I was camped outside classrooms trying to get into classes. Like myself, so was every other student. Getting into classes became a competition. I got my first glance at bullfighting; and I was the bull! I ended up missing lunch with my host family because I was stuck at school until after 4 because I was trying to get into classes. Luckily, my host mom was very understanding. However, I was still very worried about classes. I tried skyping my mom, but if you know her at all then you know she is almost unreachable. While I was skyping with Andrew Utrup, he called both Dave Landers and my mom's office to try to get someone for me so I wouldn't have to make an international call! He saved me! So I skyped with both my mom and Dave in attempt to figure things out. They were pretty good at calming me down.
Today was the second day and it started off just as bad as the first. I got to the school an hour early so I could be placed into a Spanish class. However, because my placement test scores were low I was at the bottom of the list. I stayed for the duration of the class hoping it would work out but I didn't get in! The second part of the day went much smoother. I was already in a history of Spanish art class at 10:30. After I asked the teacher about the waitlist for his next class and it looks like I can get in! I'm on about 10 waitlists just in case!
So after one very stressful day and a smi-stressful morning, I am now playing the waiting game to see if people will drop out and I can take their place. Let's hope it all works out! For now, I'm going to enjoy being done at 1:30 on Thursdays and not having classes on Fridays! I guess Spain isn't that bad! :)
Left: Pablo de Olavide
Right: the cafeteria overlooking a courtyard

2 comments:

  1. Hello Megs, Hang in there hon, things will get better you just need your staying power. It was nice to meet your host family - you did a great job translating. Love you Huge, Mum XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete